Frequently Asked Questions
If you've never heard of Deborah Adele, or "The Yamas & Niyamas" for that matter, you're in for a treat! Below we've listed some "Frequently Asked Questions" to help you understand what this special day-long workshop is all about.
- What are Yamas and Niyamas?
- The Yamas & Niyamas are yoga's ten ethical guidelines. They are the foundation of skillful living. The Yamas and Niyamas are like a detailed map, telling you where you are in life and how to look for the next landmark. They free you to take ownership of your life and direct it towards the fulfillment you seek. Gaining the the skills to choose attitude, thought and action may be the grandest adventure you can choose.
- The ten ethical guidelines are:
- Ahimsa ~ Nonviolence
- Satya ~ Truthfulness
- Asteya ~ Nonstealing
- Brahmacharya ~ Nonexcess
- Aparigraha ~ Nonpossessiveness
- Saucha ~ Purity
- Santosha ~ Contentment
- Tapas ~ Self-discipline
- Svadhyaya ~ Self-study
- Ishvara Pranidhana ~ Surrender
- Who is Deb Adele and why is she an "authority" on Yamas and Niyamas (what experience does she have to make her a credible source)?
- Deborah Adele holds master’s degrees in both Liberal Studies and Theology & Religion. An ERYT500, she carries yoga certifications in Kundalini yoga, Hatha yoga, Yoga Therapy, and Meditation. Deborah has over 15 years of yoga teaching experience and has been practicing for many more. She feels it is important to continually ask ourselves the question, “What does it mean to be human?” by putting ourselves in places we can be challenged and changed, by telling ourselves the truth, and by sitting in some form of prayer, meditation, or reflection daily.
- What can I expect to learn at the event, even after reading the book?
- This book is written to serve as a student's textbook for in-depth study on his or her own personal journey. However, this workshop is designed to combine the practice of Yamas & Niyamas into our own yoga practice, into the food we eat, into the way we communicate with others and so much more. By sitting with Deborah Adele in this one day intensive, students will gain insight into how she has applied these practices into her own daily life, and how you, as students, can do the same. She will be available to answer questions and lead discussions based around these 10 ethical guidlines.